Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

NARS Eyeshadow Duo in Kauai

I'm a firm believer in the fact that all makeup brands has its hits-and-misses. NARS is no exception. Despite having fallen off of my radar for a while, the brand has quickly made a comeback with its recent releases for Spring 2014. While I passed on the Nordstrom exclusive Final Cut blushes and lip pencils, I could not resist the duo eyeshadow in Kauai ($34.) In fact, it was practically calling my name the day it launched.


I either tend to love or hate NARS permanent range eyeshadow singles and duos, but I can safely say that Kauai has won a place in my heart. It is probably the best duo NARS has released in quite a while. The left shade is described as a gold lamé, and I could not have said it any better. It is an ultra-shimmery golden taupe that leans neither too cool nor too warm. On the right, we have a shade NARS claimed is an iridescent smoky orchid -- accurate once more. Duochrome in nature, it can pull a vibrant bluish-purple under some lights and a reddish-purple under others. It's truly a chameleon of a shade.

The first look I created (purple on the lid, gold in the crease) resulted in a rather editorial, work-inappropriate look on me. My quick fix by layering the gold over the purple resulted in a discovery: when layered, the two shades boast a stunning, metallic purplish-taupe! Needless to say, it is my favorite way of wearing the duo. Who would have thought that Kauai is a triple threat in disguise? Of course, I will let the swatches show just how nicely the two shades came together...



(L-R: Left shade, Right Shaded, Gold layered on top of the purple)

NARS has recently reformulated its eyeshadows, starting with the Guy Bourdin collection, and I must say it has taken me by surprise. NARS rarely lacked in pigmentation in the past, although the products weren't as soft and buttery as they could be. With these shadows, you barely need to dip your brush into the colors and you get enough pigmentation... for both eyes. The lasting power of these shadows are just as impressive -- easily 10+ hour wear with no signs of fading nor creasing even after a workout! 



I know Kauai has been selling out online. I was pretty frustrated when I was not able to track one down myself. However, I was able to find mine at my local Sephora store, which was fully stocked (even when it is not showing up on Sephora.com yet!) No worries, however, as this duo is now part of the permanent range -- like all outstanding products should, right?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment