Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

By Terry Cellularose Blush Glace
01 Rose Melba and 02 Flower Sorbet


Terry de Gunzburg, the mastermind behind By Terry, knows luxury quality... and prices. Some products are more worthy of the hefty price tag than others.

I have a love-hate relationship with cream blushers. I like how they give a more glowy and natural finish, but I dislike the fact that a lot of them tend to disrupt the foundation beneath. But when a company like By Terry releases such delicious-looking blushers, resistance is futile really. Quite honestly, after having given these Cellularose Blush Glace a fair shot and with different ways of application, I'm still on the fence.

These blushers come in three flavors: 01 Rose Melba, 02 Flower Sorbet, and 03 Frozen Petal, but I only have Rose Melba and Flower Sorbet to show.


01 Rose Melba is the quintessential baby doll pink that leans neither too cool nor too warm but can pull coral at times. This is best suited for light to light-medium folks.


02 Flower Sorbet is the perfect coral-orange shade that compliments all skin tones. I can see light to medium skintones pulling off this shade.


Touted as blushers that "flush the cheeks with a cool burst of watercolor for a long-wearing healthy glow", I can see why they are very appealing to many (including yours truly) during the hot summer months. A gel form cheek stain -- more or less -- in a pot with a cooling sensation upon application all sounds too good to be true. I mean, it even claims to "smooth the complexion, protect the skin, and delicately flush the cheeks with color for a plumped, preened finish."


Flush the cheeks, they do, albeit with a slight learning curve. I can't apply cream blushers as well as Lisa Eldridge can with my fingers, so my preferred way of applying cream products is still with makeup brushes. With a duo-fiber stippling brush, I find that these blushers blend to nothing, no matter how many layers I apply. However, they do fare better when I use my fingers to tap the product onto my cheeks, and I find that I also use less product that way.


Smooth the complexion? Not so much. If I don't exfoliate well prior to wearing these blushers, they apply very unevenly and splotchily. The same goes for dry patches or any blemishes I may have. They just seem to accentuate such imperfections even more. However, I am glad to report that these do not alter my foundation whatsoever. I did try them on after I had set my makeup, and let's just say, these do not go well over powder at all.

Lastly, and quite possibly, my biggest gripe with these Blush Glace is the fact that they never fully dry down and remain somewhat tacky throughout the day. On days when I opt for all cream products, I only like to lightly powder down my T-zone while leaving the rest of my face powder-free. When I first wore Rose Melba in such a manner, all I could think of was to not have my Nth strand of hair stick to my cheeks. In short, it felt just as uncomfortable as hair being stuck to lip gloss. Thankfully, a light dusting of translucent powder over my cheeks took care of that issue, although it did take away some of the glow.

(Size comparison to a mini Baume De Rose)

That said, these blushes wore extremely well, true to its claims. While they do stain the cheeks for at least ten hours with minimal fading, they were also easy to remove by the end of the day (unlike other cream blushers which stained my cheeks for days.) Like all By Terry products, the Blush Glace smells like roses, ie pure luxury. I'm sensitive to fragrances in my makeup but I have yet to break out from any of her products. *knocks on wood*

These blushers retail for $58 each wherever By Terry is sold. For 0.25 oz, there isn't a lot of product in a jar, but do keep in mind that you also don't need a lot of product (if applied properly.) I believe these are limited edition, but all three are still in stock from sites like Beauty.com and BeautyBar, as well as at Space NK.

8 comments:

  1. OMG, Fenny, these are absolutely gorgeous, and your photos made me think I need one, but I will probably hold off based on the price and the fact that they sheer out so much when a brush is used. I too prefer to use a brush with creme blushes as I think it looks even more natural and glowy. Great review, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen! <3 These are packaged adorably, that I didn't want to dip my fingers in them initially! :D I'm so glad I'm not the only one who prefers brushes, since they give a more even application for me.

      Delete
  2. These are lovely! Thanks for showing them blended out as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, 01 practically blended out to my skintone with one layer. Thank you, Kristen!! <3

      Delete
  3. These are very pretty, but i really dont get along very well with cream products, especially blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I've only been impressed by a handful of cream blushers that I've tried :-\ <3

      Delete
  4. Excellent review my friend. I love that you are hard on products! I agree with you on the tackiness, but I love the color so much, I don't mind it if I'm going to be out in cool weather / places with AC. But I can see doctors disliking this for certain circumstances.. like ER work/ surgery. Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! <3 Ya know, just keeping it real :) It's too bad you already own Flower Sorbet or I would've sent you mine! I'm looking forward to her blushers from the fall collection though!!

      Delete